Dirt Dawgs

Doing it Dawgie Style
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:44 pm 
Unleashed

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia wrote:

Cross Timbers

The term Cross Timbers is used to describe a strip of land in the United States that runs from southeastern Kansas across Central Oklahoma to Central Texas.[1] Made up of a mix of prairie, savanna, and woodland,[2][3] it forms part of the boundary between the more heavily forested eastern part of the country and the almost treeless Great Plains,[2][3][4] and also marks the western habitat limit of many mammals and insects.[2]
No major metropolitan areas lie wholly within the Cross Timbers, although roughly the western half of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex does, including the cities of Fort Worth, Denton, Arlington, and Weatherford.[3] The western suburbs of the Tulsa metropolitan area and the northeastern suburbs of the Oklahoma City metropolitan area also lie within this area.[2] The main highways that cross the region are I-35 and I-35W going north to south (although they tend to skirt the Cross Timbers' eastern fringe south of Fort Worth) and I-40 going east to west. Numerous U.S. Highways also cross the area.[2][3]

Not sure of the details just yet but will start working on logistics this week.

Friday Night park vehicles at Johnson Branch and Shuttle to Lake Murray State Park for overnight of some sort

Saturday = Lake Murray State Park to Eisenhower State Park includes singletrack at both parks and 75ish miles of dirt roads and country roads. Overnight at Eisenhower State Park of some sort.

Sunday = Eisenhower State Park to Cross Timbers Trail (35ish miles of dirt roads). Cross Timbers Trail to Johnson Branch State Park (50ish miles of dirt roads).

It's possible this could be inverted to start at JB and finish at Lake Murray depending on logistics. We would provide shuttle service from vehicle holding area (end point) to start point. We would trailer supplies to Saturday overnight location. We would provide Saturday evening/Sunday morning meals. We would trailer baggage/dirty laundry/etc. to end point. Course would be marked and routed through as many towns as feasible but GPS would be HIGHLY recommended. Sag vehicles are not a realistic expectation but of course we would bend over backwards for true emergencies.

Thinking in the neighborhood of $150 per rider depending on how overnight costs work out. We may charge less and have everyone pay for their own camping spot, cabin, etc. each night. Leaning towards Thanksgiving weekend 11/26 but it may be tough to get overnights in the State Parks that weekend. 12/3 weekend would be the alternate. Feedback is welcomed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:46 pm 
Unleashed

Whiterock Marathon is 12/4. Pick a different day.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:54 pm 
Unleashed

YetiFreak wrote:
Whiterock Marathon is 12/4. Pick a different day.

There are always conflicts. My preference is Thanksgiving weekend if there is room at the Parks for us. If not, I'll just have to miss the marathon.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:45 pm 
Unleashed

Kevin wrote:
My preference is Thanksgiving weekend

This

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:00 am 
Village Idiot

Out if its White Rock weekend. Possibly in if its the other.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:23 am 
Unleashed

Probably going to be Thanksgiving weekend. Eisenhower appears to have cabins available Saturday night. Going to check Lake Murray for Friday night while I'm scouting today.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:29 pm 
Unleashed

Single Track at Cross Timbers and JB, would not be fun on a Cross Bike. I love riding to IDB on the Cross, but Hated the trail on the Cross.

Staging the SS for those would be awesome though.. and save the Gravel for the Gravel Bike.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:44 pm 
Unleashed

cH4os wrote:
Single Track at Cross Timbers and JB, would not be fun on a Cross Bike. I love riding to IDB on the Cross, but Hated the trail on the Cross.

Staging the SS for those would be awesome though.. and save the Gravel for the Gravel Bike.

I'm thinking a geared mtb would be the weapon here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:32 pm 
Unleashed

This is gonna be good. Day one is going to be longer than I wanted but it should be worth it. Right at 90 miles from Lake Murray cabins area to Eisenhower entrance gate. I scouted a bunch of Okie stuff today and there just isn't a way to get it all in. I can say this though, the Okie dirt roads won't work if it's raining but I've already roughed out a mostly paved alternate route in case of mud. Even the paved stuff would be fun.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:15 pm 
Unleashed

mr clean wrote:
cH4os wrote:

YOUR THE DEVIL!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:25 pm 
Unleashed

Pigsley wrote:
mr clean wrote:
cH4os wrote:

YOUR THE DEVIL!!!!

I'm sure some folks will bypass the singletrack.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:00 am 
Unleashed

Thanksgiving weekend looks like the plan. I have a 3 bedroom cabin reserved at Lake Murray for Friday night and there are plenty of screened cabins available at Eisenhower Saturday night. I'm just waiting on a transportation quote before I nail down pricing. I may also go ahead and reserve another large cabin at Lake Murray if there seems to be enough interest. Chime in if you think you might go for this but nobody is obligated at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:20 am 
Something

Kevin wrote:
... Chime in if you think you might go for this but nobody is obligated at this point.

Ding, ding

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:42 pm 
Unleashed

if its around thanksgiving, odds are i cant make. usually lots of family around then.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:30 pm 
Unleashed

Pigsley wrote:
usually lots of family around then.

Personally, I can't think of a better reason to get away on the bike for a weekend. I am thinking we'll offer a Saturday night/Sunday only option as well but will wait to see how everything else sorts out.