Dirt Dawgs

Doing it Dawgie Style
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Kanza
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:32 am 
Pinksock

Kevin wrote:
Rev wrote:
and that 44 miles of the second leg was my darkest time of the entire event.

What was it about that stretch? It was mostly tail wind and cross wind where the first 60 was almost all head wind. I saw the map at CP1 and thought it was gonna be a piece of cake. I guess I'm going to have to go back to wearing an HR monitor and keep tighter track of things.

I am not sure it was anything particular about that stretch of the course. During that section I was cramping all of my leg muscles with exception to my calves, but they were waiting in line for their turn. I know that for me it was the time thing, as I just had not settled in yet and I guess I take a while to warm up. Past CP2 though I did not cramp and really I woke up and found the diesel motor again. For me it usually works like that I get in a dark place but I know I will push through it and re-awake. I mind fuck myself a lot by smiling when I am hurting. For me that actually works by forcing me to refocus on what I am doing and find happiness in the fact that my suffering is coming from something I enjoy.

Ride and Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:56 am 
Butt Sniffer

Wow. All phenomenal..on and off the bike.

Every leg had its battle and each of us were in different parts of it together...the wind and pace of the first balanced by the vistas and just the fact of getting this thing started...getting lost a few times and losing traction and hitting the ground on the second balanced by the unknown water source at a farm house that cooled and rejuvinated...the crazy ass storm, 4 miles of walking, twisted stomach and headache of the third balanced with some high quality breaks with Green and Chaos, a reroute option that proved survivable, and a semi pro peleton follow vehicle...and on the fourth...getting lost in the dark, increasing pain in both knees, visually unending hills from out of no where, to the random group of four souls (Me, Austin Sean, St. Louis, and Moots (never did get their names)) that committed to each other to cross the line and the band of brothers/sister that stayed up past their bedtime to welcome me in.

I didnt do it alone....Foster, Ian, Ben, Kocian, Charity, Clean, BG, Chaos, and Country Club couldnt have done it without you.

Looking forward to riding the bike, drinking beer and unraveling everyones story in the rides to come.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:50 am 
Unleashed

[quote="mr clean"]When we pulled up next to him (Smith) in the truck he was talking on the phone and pulling 4 other riders. [quote]

This was a sight to behold... I drove at a steady pace of 20 mph behind him the whole way. Smith is the fucking man.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:38 am 
Unleashed

I wasn't gonna do a write up and wouldn't consider this a write up. More of a coulda, shoulda, woulda list.
There are so many things I would have done different for this event and this stuff would have started about 4 months ago. One thing is for sure, I would not have trained any differently than I did. I felt amazingly strong even when I thru in the towel. I spent 15 minutes too long on the second section and right before I got to cp 2, I got held up by a train for a bit, and then I spent way too long at cp2 and probably needed to. But if I coulda shaved 10 minutes somewhere I would have been past the muddy walking section before the rain got there and would have been home free. Prior to the rain in the dead of the heat, I found myself and got in the groove and realized that I still had the grit that I did last year for this. During this time I learned a lot more about myself amongst the world at hand. I had been underestimating myself and short changing my ability and had been settling with it. At that time I had a mindset, and set forth. As the cloud coverage built and the wind began to blow into my face, I reserved a little thinking that when it passed over the wind would settle or be in my favor again. Well, it rained, hailed, lightning really close, and the wind was crazy. After it passed I headed down a hill into a slurry of silted mud that I thought would be short set back. I was wrong. I found myself walking a bar ditch for the next 4 miles or so not knowing how far this would go on. When I finally got to stable ground I wondered if there would be any other areas along the route like what I had just been thru. I called charity and her and Matt headed to my location which was reachable in a 2 wheel drive vehicle. at this time i decided to call it quits cause my goal finishing time had been washed away and i felt that i had nothing to prove to myself to continue on. As i sat there amongst Sean from Austin, and some other folks, Matt Wells, and Craig from Austin shortly after came up, and then Smith, then Country Club, then Brad. We heard a rumor that they were re routing the course and a few including Smith took off for the rest of the adventure.

Congratulations to all that attempted this battle and I hope that everyone learned something valuable during all of this, as I did and even though I did not finish I would not trade anything for what I learned and experienced through all of this.
Great job to Ben and Smith for going the distance. Thanks go out to Foster and Charity for all of the support that contributed to all of us.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:40 am 
Unleashed

P.s.
I am so ready to ride a MTB!

In a few days.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:03 pm 
Unleashed

I wrote a quick recap somewhere else on here, and a really long one to share with friends and family who want to send me back to the nut house for doing stuff like this. But here's what I really want to say.

I never thought I'd be proud of making it less than half way, but ninety whatever miles was a hell of an accomplishment for me. The level of difficulty was incredible, due to the hills and wind. Hard as hell, but it was fun. And beautiful. Scary and life affirming, damning and inspiring.

How long was that climb at mile 28? I think my Garin showed six miles.

Somewhere on the route, I hit 35.8mph. Somewhere else, I was averaging 2 or 3.

When you read about the checkpoints ever 50-60mi, understand there is N O T H I N G between them.

I beat some physical demons to make it to the point that I did, and I quit when I did for a reason. I'm looking forward to being healthier next year, with a goal of checkpoint 3. Then complete it in 2013.

There is one thing I'd do differently training. I'd ride more mountain bike trails. The road and gravel around here didn't give me the strength I needed.

I'm ready to ride on my mtb again, too. But in a couple days.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:32 pm 
Unleashed

great job to all of you guys for having the balls to line up for such a daunting task. sounds like a story you all can tell as your children get older just to show them how much of a badass you were when they all get your age.

After reading your stories, it makes me want to attempt it next year, but I have no cross bike and I'm not going to lug a MTB frame that distance.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:51 pm 
Unleashed

bigdaddy wrote:
great job to all of you guys for having the balls to line up for such a daunting task. sounds like a story you all can tell as your children get older just to show them how much of a badass you were when they all get your age.

After reading your stories, it makes me want to attempt it next year, but I have no cross bike and I'm not going to lug a MTB frame that distance.

Dirtdirt and I were on 29er frames with cross tires. I wouldn't have any issues with going that route again with better preparation/support.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:42 am 
Unleashed

mr clean wrote:
I called charity and her and Matt headed to my location which was reachable in a 2 wheel drive vehicle.

Umm... you forgot to mention all the times we had to turn around and go back because we were sinking in mud... and that it took us well over an hour to get to you as a result. Just sayin...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:25 am 
Pinksock

Kevin wrote:
bigdaddy wrote:

Dirtdirt and I were on 29er frames with cross tires. I wouldn't have any issues with going that route again with better preparation/support.

MTB with cx tires works fine for this event just add a few hand positions via bar ends. First year I did it I was on my 29er running stan's crows and it was fine. I did that one ss but that is a path I will not do again. Throw your hat in the ring and see where the journey takes you.

another thought Gravel worlds later this year in Lincoln NE.. just sayin...

here is a pic of my first kanza rig: (a self supported bid thus the bags, I carried everything with me)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:28 am 
Leg Humper

This is a fitting first post for me, since I just met a few of you at the DK200. Obviously I didn't make the starting line (blew up body 2 weeks prior), but I sure did learn a shitload from supporting and observing.

I'd say my assumptions on CX vs MTB viability were turned upside down as I watched the finish line. There was huge variety in the type of bike coming across, and last year #2 was a 29er with 2.1" tires and aerobars. Now that I think about it, that was Lance Andre, who took 1st with his wife on the tandem this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:33 am 
Unleashed

howrad wrote:
This is a fitting first post for me, since I just met a few of you at the DK200. Obviously I didn't make the starting line (blew up body 2 weeks prior), but I sure did learn a shitload from supporting and observing.

I'd say my assumptions on CX vs MTB viability were turned upside down as I watched the finish line. There was huge variety in the type of bike coming across, and last year #2 was a 29er with 2.1" tires and aerobars. Now that I think about it, that was Lance Andre, who took 1st with his wife on the tandem this year.

It wasn't his wife. I think it was On Facebook he posted looking for someone to ride with him and she volunteered.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:42 am 
Leg Humper

mr clean wrote:

It wasn't his wife. I think it was On Facebook he posted looking for someone to ride with him and she volunteered.

I stand corrected. Awesome.

Anyone know if the recumbent finished? I saw that rig roll out of the start. Never saw it again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:22 am 
Unleashed

howrad wrote:
mr clean wrote:

Anyone know if the recumbent finished? I saw that rig roll out of the start. Never saw it again.

I saw him roll out from cp3, but I have no idea if he finished.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:29 pm 
Unleashed

howrad wrote:
mr clean wrote:

he passed me around mile 40 or 50 i guess.

if i go back to dk, i will go on a crossbike. i figure a mtb is atleast a 1 to 2 mph handicap which really adds up over the hours.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next