Dirt Dawgs

Doing it Dawgie Style
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 11/1 Race Across Texas
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:21 pm 
Unleashed

Today is kind of our birthday. 1/23/10 was our very first event, the Red River Riot. Spinistry was around a few months before that, but we hadn't found our identity yet. The rains that fell that day just as the race started pretty much clamped down our Long, Hard & Dirty mantra going forward.

We've always said that we wanted to give people memories and have stories to share. The last couple of months have really driven home to us our responsibilities along those lines. It's on us to make sure that the events we put on are worth your time and money. We have an obligation to provide unique events that aren't for everyone but allow your accomplishments to be appreciated by all.

This means that sometimes we have to go outside our own comfort zone and push our limits a bit. Today we are announcing a new Spinistry event for later this year. It's definitely not for everyone, and we have lots of details to sort out between now and November, but this one will be memorable for all who are involved...be it 1 person or 111.

On 11/1 we will launch the Race Across Texas. It will start Texarkana and end somewhere in New Mexico near the Texas state line. It will take us most of the year to define the exact route so please be patient with the generalities at this point.

The route will be mostly dirt roads and we will make a point to find tough sections. We are considering outside support and relay team options but solo/self supported will be the premiere category. The total route will probably be 800-1000 miles. We are announcing it as early as we can so that folks who are interested can make plans for the time away from family, work, etc.

11/1 is a Saturday so it's a full weekend, plus 5 weekdays and then another weekend as the planned time frame for participants to complete the course. Again, we have almost no details at this time but they will start coming in on a regular basis. Feel free to post on this thread if you have any thoughts or questions. We will put up a dedicated web page over the wekend - K

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:30 pm 
Unleashed

Good on ya. This sounds like a great event. I hope it's a huge success.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:09 pm 
Unleashed

that's a lot of dirt roads.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:05 pm 
Something

I forgot a punctured tube along the road south of Quanah. I still feel bad about that.

One of you guys grab it for me, willya?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:06 am 
Unleashed

truman wrote:
I forgot a punctured tube along the road south of Quanah. I still feel bad about that.

One of you guys grab it for me, willya?

I'll keep a lookout.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:06 am 

Kevin,
"Race" across Texas sounds epic. And crazy! All I can say is congratulations on the success, continued growth and ambition of Spinistry. Very impressive to see what you've done and to watch it grow. =D>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:38 pm 
Unleashed

I'm thinking we'll have two main categories with a possibility of a shorter category for people who want to try out the bikepacking experience.

Current route is 865 miles with 25K of climbing per Ridewithgps.com.

Solo, self supported category will essentially follow Tour Divide type rules.

2 person teams will take their own vehicles on the route. Team/vehicle support is only allowed at predetermined rest areas. The rider that starts the day must finish the day on the bike. Riders can alternate days however they wish or the the second person can be full time support for a "solo" rider. We will set up/encourage a way for 2 person teams to hook up with true solos to shuttle them back to DFW (plan to accommodate 3 people/bikes for the return trip).

We will have some sort of random checkpoints thrown into the mix but it will primarily be on the honor system. Solos can go whatever pace they want but the current route does allow overnights at State Parks from the third night on. Nights one and two would overnight along the NETT. State Park to State Park ranges from 110-130 miles so some riders will have to find an in between spot if they can't do that pace on a daily basis.

Current legs look something like this (high potential for change, changes could be significant as details come together):

Texarkana to Farmersivlle -188 miles. Night one will camp somewhere along the NETT. Night two everyone (except true racers) stops in Farmersville. Use the first couple days as shakedown days.

Farmersville to Johnson Branch State Park - 82 miles a shorter leg for riders still finding their rhythm. People can pedal further if they feel strong and camp/stay somewhere else. Muenster would be a 120 mile day, Lindsey a 110, Valley View a 95.

Johnson Branch to Lake Arrowhead State Park - 120 miles

Lake Arrowhead State Park to Copper Breaks State Park - 115 miles

Copper Breaks State Park to Caprock Canyon State Park 115 miles

Caprock Canyon State Park to Next Camp - 124 miles

Next camp to NM - 125 miles

There seems to be more interest in this than I was really expecting so I'll probably be speeding up the route verification process. Current plan is for us to pre-arrange group camping/access for two nights at each of the parks. First night is an "on schedule" night, second night to allow for folks who might lose a day along the way. Start training now (even casually) and all will be fine.

Not sure of pricing yet, but we are going to try to keep it as low as we can without shooting ourselves in the foot. There will be a good bit of cost associated with scouting the route(s) and insurance for multi day events does take things into a different arena. Current guesstimates are something like this:

Solo unsupported (no pre-arranged camping/lodging/100% fend for yourself/Tour Divide type rules) $75ish early, $125ish regular.

Vehicular Team Riders $125ish per person early, $200ish per person regular (includes camping/park access).

Mini trip solo (Texarkana to Johnson's Branch Sat-Tue) $75ish early, $125ish regular

Again, this is a very rough draft at the moment but we do want want to keep you in the loop as far as what we are considering. Let us know if we start going off base.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:38 am 
Unleashed

There have been several who have asked about routing the RAT course West to East instead of East to West.

Historical wind patterns actually support our SE to to NW route: The wind is most often out of the south (28% of the time), south east (17% of the time), and north (14% of the time). The wind is least often out of the west (5% of the time).

We simulated the route based on this past November which only produced one day with any head winds. There were several days with substantive tail winds.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:59 pm 
Unleashed

Tailwinds are nice. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:43 am 
Unleashed

sholmes wrote:
Tailwinds are nice. :D

<<FART JOKE!>>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:49 pm 
Unleashed

Damn I want to do this. I'm in to ride whether it's the full or just to JB. I think that will be the breaking point for mere mortals anyway. Now I feel rushed to get a bike setup together before the riot for testing.

Didn't mean to give you a hard time about the wind Kevin. I was really questioning it myself, but I trust your research.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:01 pm 
Unleashed

fedrlbiker wrote:
Didn't mean to give you a hard time about the wind Kevin.

No worries on that end and don't get caught up in having the perfect bike by the Riot. I'd suggest using what you have to see what exactly needs to be different. There will be plenty of opportunity after the Riot to fine tune.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:01 pm 
Unleashed

Web page is finally up and running. Let us know what additional info it needs.

http://www.spinistry.com/race-across-texas/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:35 pm 
Unleashed

Here is a list of most of the towns/parks we will be going through, mileage between each and a thumbnail of available amenities. This could be slightly modified but I would consider it 95% firm at least.
Each of you are encouraged to do your own research to verify details as you see fit (due diligence). I WILL NOT be coming up with an all inclusive list of amenities. Don't ask if any other towns are on the route because they aren't.
Consider these your checkpoints for the route. We will identify specific spots at each stop later on for check in. All checkpoints will be required and each of the State Parks will have a checkpoint inside of it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:58 pm 
Unleashed

RAT Overview - Segments will equal days for supported riders. Unsupported riders riders are welcome to ride whatever schedule they wish.

Segment 1 7am Start: Texarkana to Blossom (camping in City Park) 119 miles
Segment 2 The NETT: Blossom to Farmersville (camping in City Park/Onion Shed) 86 miles
Segment 3 So Close to Home: Farmersville to Johnson Branch State Park (State Park campsites) 84 miles
End of Mini RAT = 289 miles

Segment 4 Quit Monsters: Johnson Branch State Park to Lake Arrowhead State Park (State Park campsites) 121 miles
Segment 5 The West Begins: Lake Arrowhead State Park to Copper Breaks State Park (State Park campsites) 118 miles
Segment 6 This is Texas?: Copper Breaks State Park to Caprock Canyon State Park (State Park campsites) 111 miles
Segment 7 - Climbing Day: Caprock Canyon State Park to Middle of Nowhere (camping TBD if needed) 125ish miles
Segment 8 Middle of Nowhere to Tucumcari (Hotels and KOA) 125ish
Total all segments = 889 miles