Dirt Dawgs

Doing it Dawgie Style
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:43 am 
Offline
Village Idiot
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:12 am
Posts: 9208
Location: on Facebook!
Do you as a member of DORBA see a benefit in having our 5 to 9 races per year as USAC sanctioned races? Of course the forums are an excellent location to post comments, but we would also like to hear from you in person before we as a Board make a decision.

The April DORBA meeting on Tuesday, April 4th is being hosted by:
Sun and Ski sports Grapevine
3000 Grapevine Mills Pkwy. (Just North of D/FW Airport)
Grapevine, TX 76051

The topic of discussion during the general meeting will be to gather input and comments from DORBA members and racers about whether or not DORBA should proceed in this direction. If you cannot make the meeting, by all means please post your thoughts, or do not hesitate to contact me directly. Otherwise, we would love to see and hear from you at the April meeting.

Beverages sponsored by Trail LED http://www.trailled.com/

Food sponsored by Sun and Ski http://www.sunandski.com/Articles.asp?ID=221

_________________
don't put the ride before the bros. fuck shortcuts.
i would hit lambo in the face with a dull lawnmower blade for free. -britt


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:08 pm 
Offline
Unleashed
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 1:48 pm
Posts: 20150
Location: 76262
what time?

_________________
WWYD


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:13 pm 
Offline
Village Idiot
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:12 am
Posts: 9208
Location: on Facebook!
Kevin wrote:
what time?


starts at 6 pm

_________________
don't put the ride before the bros. fuck shortcuts.
i would hit lambo in the face with a dull lawnmower blade for free. -britt


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:15 pm 
Offline
Unleashed
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 1:48 pm
Posts: 20150
Location: 76262
Johnny wrote:
Kevin wrote:
what time?


starts at 6 pm


Can't make it until 7 or so. Save me a beer.

_________________
WWYD


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:29 pm 
Offline
Unleashed
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 5:44 pm
Posts: 15547
Location: Texas
Johnny wrote:
Do you as a member of DORBA see a benefit in having our 5 to 9 races per year as USAC sanctioned races? Of course the forums are an excellent location to post comments, but we would also like to hear from you in person before we as a Board make a decision.

The April DORBA meeting on Tuesday, April 4th is being hosted by:
Sun and Ski sports Grapevine
3000 Grapevine Mills Pkwy. (Just North of D/FW Airport)
Grapevine, TX 76051

The topic of discussion during the general meeting will be to gather input and comments from DORBA members and racers about whether or not DORBA should proceed in this direction. If you cannot make the meeting, by all means please post your thoughts, or do not hesitate to contact me directly. Otherwise, we would love to see and hear from you at the April meeting.

Beverages sponsored by Trail LED http://www.trailled.com/

Food sponsored by Sun and Ski http://www.sunandski.com/Articles.asp?ID=221



You racer boys and girls might want to attend to hear the pros and cons of Dorba becoming USAC sanctioned race promotor IF you care!

I saw them talking about it on dorba but don't know if it would be bad or not? I like the grass roots and low cost of Dorba races, but USAC rep claims it won't add to the cost........very much.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:07 am 
Offline
Village Idiot
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:12 am
Posts: 9208
Location: on Facebook!
Cope wrote:
I saw them talking about it on dorba but don't know if it would be bad or not? I like the grass roots and low cost of Dorba races, but USAC rep claims it won't add to the cost........very much.


It won't. In fact, it will probably save costs.

But yeah, definitely come on out, her other's opinions and have your's heard!

_________________
don't put the ride before the bros. fuck shortcuts.
i would hit lambo in the face with a dull lawnmower blade for free. -britt


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:38 am 
Offline
Unleashed
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:06 am
Posts: 3152
Location: DFL
It seems Dorba is shifting from an IMBA oriented trail advocate type organization to primarily a race promoting organization.
Out.

_________________
...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:51 am 
Offline
Unleashed

Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 2:31 pm
Posts: 6970
Hoss,

Why do the two things have to be mutually exclusive?

It seems to me that the past few years have brought us (thanks to shadow and company) more great singletrack.

The mission of IMBA - "to create, enhance and preserve great trail experiences" Are we not doing that?

Why cant' 'we also have serious racing in North Texas?

jjay


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:45 am 
Offline
Unleashed
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:06 am
Posts: 3152
Location: DFL
jjay wrote:
Hoss,

Why do the two things have to be mutually exclusive?

It seems to me that the past few years have brought us (thanks to shadow and company) more great singletrack.

The mission of IMBA - "to create, enhance and preserve great trail experiences" Are we not doing that?

Why cant' 'we also have serious racing in North Texas?

jjay



I have no problem with racing in North Texas or the fact that Dorba is promoting races. I just don't want to see that become the main purpose of the organization. I agree that we have some awesome new singletrack, I would just like to see more over a wider geographical area and more diverse trail types from long flowing beginner friendly trail to a possible IMBA designated epic trail. Although I don't race, I do support racing. I am very excited about the Texas High School Mountain Bike Racing league and intend to support an encourage it's development in North Texas. I would love to see Dorba become involved in THSMBR as well.
You all don't see me much too much but rest assured that I am constantly promoting our sport and actively dragging new riders to the trail. To see them race someday would be cool, but they need the support and resources to get them past the intimidation stage.

_________________
...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:02 pm 
Offline
Unleashed

Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:32 am
Posts: 333
Hoss wrote:
It seems Dorba is shifting from an IMBA oriented trail advocate type organization to primarily a race promoting organization.
Out.


part of advocacy *is* getting asses in saddles by any means. the numbers show that races have an extremely high rate of return on membership. it's just that races require a lot more promotion since it's a group event. IMO, it's no more important that a single cyclist taking a new person to a trail and getting them hooked. The goal is the same. The method and scale are just different.

when done correctly and the weather cooperates, races generate a good revenue, both for the club and for local businesses and municipalities, which helps us get land access, pay for tools, insurance, and promote the sport: mo' asses in saddles.

I've done a little research on the IMBA model, and I have to say I'm on the fence about renewal this time around. I'm conflicted about sending $25 a year to IMBA ($4,000,000 annual budget in 2010) and most of it goes to administrative costs (how much do you think all that stuff they mail you costs?) and "lobbying". I believe in the work they do regarding education about LNT, sustainable construction, etc. , but past that I feel like my $25 / year is better allocated locally to my volunteer club that pays $0 a year in salary to board members. Perhaps I'm a little different in that I don't believe that cyclists have the right to cut trail on every piece of designated wilderness in the US. I like what DORBA and the volunteers have done locally.


''do what you can, with what you have, where you are"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:45 pm 
Offline
Dangle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:27 pm
Posts: 7664
wow.
lots of words.
you guys do realize this is the Dirtdawgs forum.
here,
watch this,
Fuck you asshole
no fuck you you raceist pieces of shit.




see how that works.

_________________
I salute you, with one lifted leg.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:10 pm 
Offline
Unleashed

Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:32 am
Posts: 333
T.Blazer wrote:
wow.
lots of words.


Yeah youre probably right, but I gotta be closer to the bottom of this bottle of weller 12 before I settle on "fuck you" as part of the argument. Anyway y'all get the point.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:14 am 
Offline
Unleashed
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:07 pm
Posts: 1867
Location: Wylie
sapo wrote:
Hoss wrote:
when done correctly and the weather cooperates, races generate a good revenue, both for the club and for local businesses and municipalities, which helps us get land access, pay for tools, insurance, and promote the sport: mo' asses in saddles.



This.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:51 am 
Offline
Village Idiot
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:12 am
Posts: 9208
Location: on Facebook!
Thanks to everyone who came out. We had some fantastic discussion, pointed questions, and received some excellent feedback from the membership. Also, we ate food and drank beer.

For those of you who weren't there (or won't venture over to the dorba forum to read the board meeting minutes), the Board did, in fact, unanimously vote to become members of USAC.

We also approved the new dirt jump park in Deep Ellum. Minotro is going to be heading that up.


Blazer, when behind the wheel, Asian people are a danger to themselves and those around them.

_________________
don't put the ride before the bros. fuck shortcuts.
i would hit lambo in the face with a dull lawnmower blade for free. -britt


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:43 am 
Offline
Unleashed
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 5:44 pm
Posts: 15547
Location: Texas
That was good beer!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group