Dirt Dawgs

Doing it Dawgie Style
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:57 am 
Unleashed

Posted here so everyone can see and reflect how freaking stupid crazy those solo riders are! Much respect for Rich 2nd place, Solo Open (21 laps at 151 miles approx), Ray 3rd place Solo Open
Randy Hancock, 1st place- Solo Sport (He's on Big Pigs, first 24 hour), David V 2nd place-Solo Sport (Barry Fisher, his first 24 hour), The Big Pig Babes cuz I'm partial and anyone that didn't sleep and kept riding!!

Race Results

Thanks to everyone that stopped by to say "hi" sorry I was out of it. But it's nice to see familiar fresh faces and I really appreciated it!

Special respect for Rich (Big Pig) Szecsy ! He does not know how to say stop. He over heated like 3 times early in the race so bad that he did not know where it was, the medic almost pulled him, but he wouldn't let him. Support laid him on the couch Rich brought out there, and covered him in ice, he barely remembers any of that! When he was able he got on his bike and rode on..................................and on and on, through the night into the morning, when I stopped riding and was half asleep, there he was still going, I could hear support cheering him on. He rode on with total time of 24:28.

Now here is some more craziness to add to his race. He was out there Friday setting up the cathedrals (Big tents for you simple minds like me) and making out the course in the heat of the day.

Ok, you got all that consumed in your mind what all he went through, how much you would have to push yourself in that 100 degree heat for probably 5 hours plus you're on a single speed in tight twisty, very rooty sections (I hated those on my rigid) then you get out of the shaded rooty sections into the sun burning open fields of water sucking, air sucking heat over and over. Then into the night, you're thinking it'll be cool but it wasn't, it was very humid. I was dripping sweat bad, making my face tickle constantly. It was agonizing. So Rich completes all of that and into the morning and finishes.

Guess what he has to do after all of that. He has to be on a plane by 2:30pm, a two hour flight and put on a presentation for a company meeting! (description of work may not be completely accurate as far as details) Yes he has to go to work in a short time after all of that!
I don't know if he made it to work, but I asked him if he really had to fly out and go to a meeting for real and if he was going to be able to do it, he said yeah with a smile.

Sorry for the ramble, I am just amazed at all that because I'm such a quitter when it hurts. But this I'll remember and maybe it will inspire me next time to keep going on!

peace out!

Last edited by Cope on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:36 am 
Unleashed

Inspirational, and a little scarey to watch. Energizer Pig.

All of the guys and gals out there did an amazing job.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:45 am 
Unleashed

For names and individual lap times click on the team name

Anyone know how many miles each lap was? I got about 7.1 but that was on stupid Garmin. I heard it was 7.8?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:38 pm 
Unleashed

7.8 is what I got per lap.

Good description Vic: hot, rooty, humid, & long.

To all involved - Thanks for the hospitality!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:04 pm 
Unleashed

Kudos to Rich for all the reasons Cope listed above... excluding the overheating part! You know better Coach.

As for the Big Pig Babes team:

Great showing, especially for the sickos we turned out to be, with the exception of Susan who was happy as a clam the whole time and especially took care of me! Gotta get some of that coconut and lime juice! Wonder how that will taste with vodka in it... hmmm... oh, sorry. I digress....

Check out the lap times. If you compare ours to that Cat 1 team we were up against, we weren't that far off and had we all been well, I think we coulda given em a run for their money! Exciting news! I think we should consider doing the Rocky Hill 24-hour Race in October this year and see just how well we can do when we are 100% and it's not so damn hot!!! We could be the next big chic team to watch out for! I vote for a better name though... babes was kind of a play on piggie based movies and names for females. lol I was short on creative juices that day.

Okay, again I digress...
Going into this thing sick, I kept telling myself it would be best to just back out and not let the team down with a bad showing but I just couldn't call it off last minute knowing everyone had plans to be there... so I went ahead and showed my sorry ass up. I was so sick Friday night. All the food prep I was doing about killed me! :-& Poor Rachel had been sick all night Wednesday too. We weren't looking good... oh and my apologies to Steve B, Bobby D, et al's camp... I tried to get well outta eat shot before hurling... just didn't work out. Thanks for the cold rag though!

We decided to do two laps a piece and although some people said it wasn't a good idea, I actually think it worked for us. Allowed for longer periods of rest and our (okay, my) sick asses needed it! I think our nutrition was on point... and we stayed as cool as we could in that sauna. I vote for more tree coverage next time! Rich had suggested using ice packs in my back jersey pocket. I think this really helped. It didn't necessarily stay pressed up against my back, but I felt it the whole two laps. I never got overheated on my laps. Wondermous! Given whatever bug I had, I think I would have been much worse off without that ice pack and had I not paced myself. Another racer put an ice pack in her sports bra... pictures should prove this... if you look closely enough! lol And yet another racer decided that 'next to nothing' was the ticket and wore her bikini top... pictures will also prove this!!! Kudos to Terra Firma for having the bucket of ice water and rags at the start/finish line. That was the greatest!! Well, next to Grady's (Trail LED) kick ass fan that was about 20 degrees cooler! Fabulous! Next time maybe we bring a couple of those plastic kid pools and make some ice baths. Would have come in handy for some people... I'm kinda sad the couch is history... lol

All the girls did GREAT! I really am looking forward to when we can do this again!! I was stunned at how many people showed up to provide support in various forms, often more than once in the 24 hour timeframe. Big Daddy and daughter, Los and lil Los, some floating bags of ice reportedly brought by a Ninja, CHOP, Scott, Princess Snapple and Judith, Amanda and the boys, Team Journey, Lindsey, Steve, Laura, and family and friends I don't know... so I can't name and others I'm sure I've inadvertently forgotten. Amazing! Makes all the difference in morale when you have that kind of encouragement from friends and family! Special thanks to Luke (mostly cause he never gets thanked!!!), Rich, et al for going out Friday and setting up camp! Vern you rock for staying and helping make sure all that trash was picked up from around the camp area. I scored on water big time! lol Thanks Luke, Scott, Alex, and Vern for staying and helping Terra Firma break down too!

Great weekend and should be lots of extra pics since there were fewer racers than expected!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:48 am 
Unleashed

One more special thanks to Luke for all the hard work he puts in before and after setting up the cathedral that nobody wants to do, but we love to sit under it when it's hot and it was hot! And to the folks that helped him!
He and crew had to put up and tear down 2 of them, one was for terra firma.