Dirt Dawgs

Doing it Dawgie Style
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:27 pm 
Too fast for love...

I think that if you can stay with the group for the first section, you are guaranteed a top 20. We are going to ride the dirt sections on sat, so I'll let you know what we find out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:43 pm 
Unleashed

spears wrote:
I think that if you can stay with the group for the first section, you are guaranteed a top 20. We are going to ride the dirt sections on sat, so I'll let you know what we find out.

yeah, my goal is to make it to the second dirt section before popping.
If I can do that, top 20 for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:27 pm 
Membership Erector

Rip their balls off, Bain!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:41 pm 
Unleashed

Try your best, Goonie!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:18 pm 
Unleashed

You are all winners just for trying!! :birdman:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:28 am 
Muscle Gnome

good race

- Britt Tucker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:55 am 
Unleashed

jabain wrote:
good race

hell of a write up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:41 am 
Muscle Gnome

dirtdirt wrote:
jabain wrote:
good race

hell of a write up.

My bad:
106 miles
some dirt, some not
some up, some down
tried to ride pretty hard.
Didn't win.

- Britt Tucker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:25 pm 
pseudo-intellectual

dirtdirt wrote:
jabain wrote:
good race

hell of a write up.

I like the part where the race was good.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:33 pm 
Unleashed

Are the results posted anywhere?

Flee me.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Sierra Nevada in one hand - Cuban cigar in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:10 pm 
Unleashed

P/1/2 results...

Props to cozby (first race as a 2?).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:48 am 
Unleashed

Yes, first race as a cat2.

Working on a proper write up to allow dirtdirt to live vicariously through me.

Full results.
http://lambra.org/results/2011/rouge11_r.htm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:05 am 
Unleashed

good job to all of you that stepped up to the line regardless of your finishing spot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:07 am 
Unleashed

We did this race last year and it was a blast. So, I've been looking forward to it since March last year. We headed out on Thursday night this year, 5 of us in the Merry Miler. We stopped the madness in Shreveport Louisianna the first night, and shacked up in a studio apartment of a couch surfer.

Friday we finished up the drive to Baton Rouge, another 4 hours or so. It was pretty nice having the drive split up. We did a short ride around the city, and went out for a few drinks and had a good adventure in Baton Rouge.

Saturday we spent pre-riding some of the dirt sections of the course and riding for about 3 hours. Possibly a little long for a day before the race, but my legs felt good during the race anyhow. We hit the ferry/barge and crossed the Mississippi, and had some fresh crayfish(lil baby lobsters).

Sunday morning was the road race. There was a 6mile nuetral rollout and then we took a left and it was on. Our goal was to get someone off the front from mile 1, so Michael Lalla rolled off the front, and as its a long day in the saddle, they let him go. Another team sent two guys up the road with him pretty soon after, and the field was content for a bit to let them disappear. I was sitting mid pack, and we took a right turn off the main road to some more twisty tree'd section, still on pavement but not a major highway anymore. I looked back, and all of a sudden I was at the back of the pack. The field had split, we were maybe 10 miles into the race. I should have moved up at this point, but I was getting my feel for the P1/2 pack. There were some attacks through this section, my teammate Jesse was at the front covering most of them, he let one guy roll off the front, Jonny Sundt of Kenda-Gear Grinder. I've done a few races with him, and he's a really strong rider(he is a pro) so letting him up the road without a member of our team was our mistake for the day. He would solo for most of the day, catching my teammate and the other two with him, in the second dirt section around mile 70. I didn't even know that he was up the road actually, which is another reason to be closer to the front.

As we were approaching the 1st dirt section, Jesse organized us, and I was sitting on the front, to cover attacks. No one attacked but I kept picking up the pace until we hit the right hander into the dirt. I was glad to hit it first, as I heard breaks squeal behind me. I was at threshold, so I soon saw everyone else go by my, Christian Helmig, Jesse, Adam, Matt Davis(Louisiana res.) almost ran me off the road. Soon I found myself off the back of the group. I would get back into a grove, and started picking off a few riders, riding with them till they flatted. The back of the group was ever so close but still far enough away that we couldn't make contact.

We got to the end of the dirt section, got a neutral bottle that was ice cold, and refreshed ourselves. The peleton creeped away from us as they picked up the pace back on the road. We, myself and another rider from Herring Gas(the other major team in the race), kept a moderate pace as to not destroy ourselves as it was potentially going to be a long day. Fortunetly we saw that the peleton was getting closer, so I picked up the pace, and egged my partner to do the same on his pulls. We would catch them soon after and when we did I saw Rusty(teammate) at the front of the group just chilling. I was thankful for that. I let Jesse and Adam know I was back in the group and was instructed to stay near the front. There were a series of attacks by the Dalhiem/Helmig group, but we were right there everytime. Eventully this would end, and the pace settled down to downright slow. Adam and two other racers slow rolled off the front, and no one contested it. The guys who had fallen off the back/flatted were able to catch back on a few miles before the dirt section.

Left turn into the dirt section was about .5 a mile of "carpet bombed road" before the dirt hill. With bad positioning through the left turn I fell off the back of the group, but was able to pick up a few positions up the hill and through the dirt. I caught back up to Jesse, and we would stick together for awhile. Reformed a group after the dirt, and started to rotate. This worked for a little bit, but not everyone one wanted to or "could" work. One rider would attack and stay a 15 seconds off the front, but no real threat. The left turn for the last dirt section, came up and the rider up the road had missed the turn. I don't know how, as the course is REALLY well marked.

I hit the gas, looked back and saw Jesse also at the front. I knew it was time to go at this point. The last dirt section is 83 miles into the race, and is a bit sandier than the other sections, and bumpier in general. I ended up walking/running about half of the first hill, and then it was just me and jesse, none of the "baby jokers" were left. We had ridden this part of the course the day before so we knew what we were getting into. Lots of short steep hills with sweeping downhills. Jesse would flat about halfway through the section, and left me to finish by myself. It was mile 87 by the end of the dirt section, so I had a little under 20 miles left. I grabbed a banana, and some fresh water at the feed station.

I would settle into pushing 300watts, as I knew I could easily hold this without going to far into the hole. I caught two riders, and recovered in their draft for a bit. We would drop one of them, and pick up Rusty my other teammate, who had wasted himself in the last section covering attacks. I told him I was going to attack the other guy we were with, so he let me roll off the front and create a gap forcing the other guy to cover. We rotated through again, and the other guy said he was in survival mode, I wasted no time, and attacked and rolled off solo for the last 10 miles.

We had driven the finish line of the course the night before, so I knew some of the land marks. I was picking up my pace, as I knew there wasn't much left, and there was sure to be stragglers up the road. I put it into TT mode, and picked it up to 350w. I hit the 1K mark and there were two guys at a bridge cheering me on. I was still feeling great and picked it up even more. The 500m sign was right before the final turn, I made the last turn to the hill before the finish and saw my last victim. I turned it up even more sprinted up the hill, and people started cheering me on. He was still a bit away, but I had 200m of false flat/hill to catch him, I pedaled as fast as I could, trying not to get bogged down, and then stood up and headed for the checkered flag. I got him by a wheel at the line. He actually commented to me "man, you didn't have to make me work so hard", I told him "Sorry man, I just never give up till I hit the line."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:39 am 
Muscle Gnome

good stuff Ryan.

Badass finish as well man.

- Britt Tucker

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next